[Imports] Lafayette LA mappers? address import?

Brandon Knight bknight430 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 16:20:38 UTC 2014

Richard Weait <richard at ...> writes:

> Hello Mappers,
>
> Do we have active mappers (with an interest) in / near Lafayette,
> LA?[1]  How do you feel about address data for that area?  Would you
> participate in improving that data?  Would you like to lead that
> effort?   More details, and all follow-ups please, to imports <at>  and
> imports-us <at> .
>
> I've been given ~100k address points for Lafayette LA, along with
> license permission for inclusion in OpenStreetMap under CT/ODbL and
> future licenses.  The publisher requires a "don't blame us" waiver
> that we may include in the wiki.
>
> A quick scan of the central area of Lafayette shows approximately 14
> addresses that include addr:housenumber=*.
>
> A very quick preliminary scan of the data reveals:
>
> - addresses are ALL CAPS and need expansion of RD, ST, ETC.
> - addresses are points and appear to be approximate building centers.
> There are exceptions.  There are address points on what might be a
> "main" portion of a building.
> - there is at least one address point on the pitcher's mound of a ball
> diamond, and not on the club house building.
> - address points seem sensible based on existing road rendering and
> aerial imagery, for the area I looked at.
>
> So, if you are interested (and especially if you have local
> knowledge), please follow and participate on imports <at>  and imports-us
<at> .

> Best regards and happy mapping,
>
> Richard
>
> [1] I'll ping those that I see in the user map as well.

Richard,

I am interested in a Lafayette import. While I am neither a local nor do I
have a lot of local knowledge, my wife is from there and I have visited a
half dozen times in the past several years.

While likely not appropriate for me to lead such an effort,  I would be
happy to participate if remote mappers are desired.  I have at my disposal
many friends and family that have valuable local knowledge.

-Brandon