[Imports] Questions about DC import plan

David Jackson (OCTO) davidy.jackson at dc.gov
Thu Aug 7 12:18:12 UTC 2014

Brandon,

To answer your solid questions.

1) " Are these chunks empty because there was found to be no difference
from what already existed in OSM from previous imports? "

No. There are many differences between existing building / address data in
OSM and what is being loaded. Examples included have buildings tagged with
addresses,  geometry of data among others.

2) "Why was the decision made to use the tasking manager to conduct a
partial import as opposed to conflating the entire dataset, given that the
new import process is adding not only building footprints but
footprints+addresses?  "

The goal of the project was to 'complete' or fill in (almost 100%) the
buildings (with address where they exist) for the rest of DC.  This means
over 50,000 buildings.   The decision was made because to do a partial
import because it would be much less time intensive.

"Will this be taken care of in a separate process that I am unaware of?"
No plans for that at this time.

- David

David Jackson   |  GIS Analyst  |  Office of the Chief technology Officer
 (W) 202.724.5135  |  200 I ST SE,  5TH FL,  Washington, DC
davidy.jackson at dc.gov |   Blog:  dcaddresscoordinates.blogspot.com
Telework Day: Fri