[Imports] Slovenia - Landuse import questions

Glen Barnes barnaclebarnes at mac.com
Thu Dec 11 20:23:27 UTC 2014

> b) import everything except "built-up and similar" even if tagging is not perfect (including hop gardens, bare rock alpine areas etc, some not even being rendered yet, invent (sub)tags if needed, makes some unmapped roads nicely visible as strips of unused land, covers 95% of country)

This is where I would spend a lot of time working through all the possible tags and coming up with the best approach for each layer. We did this in NZ and you can see an example here - http://linz2osm.openstreetmap.org.nz/data_dict/layer/boatramp_cl/info/ <http://linz2osm.openstreetmap.org.nz/data_dict/layer/boatramp_cl/info/>. Do not tag for the renderer - Others may well create their own maps which do render the content. I wouldn’t 'dumb down’ any tags either. Orchards already have a deep tagging scheme which allows you to specify the crops that are planted - http://wiki.osm.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dorchard <http://wiki.osm.org/wiki/Tag:landuse=orchard>.

You may also have some specific types of landform that is unique to your area/culture. We did make up some new tag - For example we have pa sites in NZ which are unique to our country and none of the other historic tags really fit well. You should probably document these new tags on the OSM wiki.

In short if there is relevant content that can be imported it is better to go a bit deeper in tagging rather than lighter. Just spend the time proposing, debating and refining your tagging scheme (Some of our discussions went back and further 5 times before we settled on the best approach).

Good luck.
Glen