[Imports] Import of addresses in Poland

Adam Williamson adamw at happyassassin.net
Tue Feb 4 19:44:58 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-02-04 at 20:35 +0100, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 04.02.2014 17:40, Zbigniew Czernik wrote:
> > I think it's pointless to send information about the import of addresses
> > in each municipality as a separate post. I think it's a good idea to
> > create a thread where I will put the information about the planned imports.
>
> I think we should maybe have a more fundamental discussion about these
> imports.
>
> As you probably know, OSM doesn't value data over community. Where
> imports are concerned, we usually look at whether there's a local
> community to "digest" the data that has been imported, to fix it where
> it's wrong, to update it in the future.
>
> Importing data "instead" of having a community is not something we
> normally do ("there's nobody there to map anything anyway so in order to
> make the map more useful let's at least import data").
>
> This is also the reason we prefer "community imports" where perhaps one
> person or a small group of people prepares data for import, but the
> actual import is done by people local to the area, who know the place
> and know what they're doing.
>
> What I'm seeing here is one single person importing huge amounts of data
> for one city after the next, all over Poland.
>
> Have *you* cross-checked that data? Have you even *been* to the places
> you are importing data for? Or, if that's not the case, is there a local
> community in the places you are importing data for - someone who says
> "dear Zbigniew, could you import this data for me so that I can do a
> better job of mapping in my city"?
>
> If this is not the case, then I think you should stop importing data.
> Has this been discussed in the Polish community?

Paul Norman - who's both an experienced OSMer, and in the same local
area as me - brought up many of the same points in response to my
proposal for an address import in this area (Vancouver BC). One thing he
pointed out that I hadn't considered is that address data is mostly
useful for geocoding, rather than being something that's necessarily
very valuable data (particularly without any *other* associated
information) at the OSM layer itself.

So, when I get time to work on my proposal again, I'm going to look at
the possibilities for providing the same data not directly within OSM,
but in geocoding layers that are commonly associated with OSM.

Of course, naturally, I wonder if there are standards/conventions for
this. I mean, is there an accepted way to do it? Do I try to get the
data dumped direct into Nominatim? Do I set up some kind of simple
RESTful app on a server and teach engines like Nominatim and, I dunno,
OpenTripPlanner to use that? Does anyone have any pointers? Thanks!

(Where I came *in* to all this in the first place was wanting to set up
an OpenTripPlanner server for Vancouver, which is why the address data
interests me in the first place: it *is* very valuable data for routing,
and I don't know how you make that data reliably available to the widest
possible range of things that may want to use it if the answer isn't
"import it to OSM".)
--
adamw