[Imports] Import of addresses in Poland

toto1 at wp.pl toto1 at wp.pl
Wed Feb 5 09:01:58 UTC 2014

Answer
If you are concerned that too much data will cause the map will be  not
valid, then the question - why draw at all , and if so , each line will
not be valid. For example, the city of Wroclaw in Poland in 2014 is not
the same city as in 2012 . Following your reasoning , you'd better let's
remove from the database all strokes buildings - and so anyone because
it 's a year or more tear down , let's remove all address points , after
what ... let's remove information about catering and pubs.... - because
for a moment longer can they will not let us leave the map with several
major roads , and will be fine. And what will be the effect - Google is
still the leading map and longer . If you want to constructively talk
about imports and editing invite forum on the Polish OSM.In English we
can talk about this.
Polish community is growing and this position what you present , stops
the development - talk with people young learn their position and verify
your arguments .
All I know is that the more people and ideas who want to regulate
something , the more rules including - what is the effect -  the smaller
development. And going further , I can ask - what for making a new map
if now we can use nokia or google maps???? What for if for a moment all
our wirk will be not valid? I do not know how you work with the map ,
but each responsible mapper when editing , always verify whether the
data are consistent with reality and corrects them . I invite you once
again to the Polish forum - there certainly know our position - not just
mine.
You are from domain http://www.nutiteq.com/. Really Your company want to
have not detailed map?

Jarosław Stefaniak

W dniu 05-02-2014 08:49, Jaak Laineste (Nutiteq) pisze:
> Here are some specific points I need to challenge
>

>>   If the main idea is to have OSM data reflect reality - a lack of imports (of course, well- made ​​) deviates from this idea.
> No, this is not the main idea of OSM. More important than to reflect reality is to have living every day up-to-date map, created by community. Too much detailed data from imports works unfortunately against this. You will have data what the community cannot keep up-to-date, this will be more and more outdated, and after few years the data is so bad that noone can use it and it is not possible to update it.
>
> It is better to have less, but community-maintainable data.
>
>> For example, the town of 50,000 inhabitants - making the address points one by one would take years for sure and maybe more . If the process can be accelerated by increasing the value of the database , what for waiting?
> You may see quality increase in day one, but after couple of years you'll notice that the data is outdated, and your active importers are not able to keep up with real life changes. You need community in each town what you import.
>
>>   I support imports , which makes Zbigniew - they are made ​​ for the good of our community.
> It is good for map, but it is not always clear that it is good also for community in the long term. Bad thing is that you will only notice impact to the community after few months time. You will see if there will be more editors or not. It may also be true that better map bring many new community members, who considered OSM too raw beforehand. Has anyone done any study for this? If not, I can try to do some studies based on my country, which has both full city imports and nation-wide thematic imports, and recent address data import. Many of them done (sometimes foolishly) by myself.
>
>> Personally I use now only navigation based on OSM data (as OsmAnd) No address data often means that I need to use commercial navigation. But are you sure of what we want? Is it a good way? If I spend my time (for free, no money) to create maps I want to use navigationfor free.
> If this is your main problem, then you are handling it in wrong way. The root problem of OsmAnd (I know they are not alone in this) is optimistic assumption that OSM is already good enough for universal address search. It is not. And it will take some more years to get it good enough. Right way to fix it is to get community to every town. So far they could and should create separate address database from various free sources, including not only OSM community data, but also municipal open data from Polish and other authorities. Geonames.org could be good candidate. Yes, it is a lot of work, but actually less than using OSM as repo for database merges; this is for sure what OSM is not about.
>

> Jaak

Dear Jaak
Everything what You will put into database for sure in 1-3 yer will be
not good not