[Imports] [osm-pl] Fwd: Re: Import of addresses in Poland

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 20:55:13 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 2:50 PM, Serge Wroclawski <emacsen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 3:34 PM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> But your statement does remind me of a good point: those that claim
>> imports harm community have not shown any data supporting that viewpoint.
>>

> I have anecdotal evidence to that effect, which is that I've personally
> had trouble with imported data, knowing how to handle it. But I'm serious
> about both sides showing this to be or not be the case. It would be hard to
> study, though.

My anecdotal evidence shows the opposite: people are more excited about OSM
in Chicago with the buildings import from last year. I've had several
mappers at my (admittedly infrequent) meetups that are excited to find
their own building and improve it. Existing OSM mappers were excited about
having more detail in the area and having a base for improving POI mapping.

Having said that, there are some new mappers that get confused about how iD
handles with the density of buildings in Chicago. Mostly it's just slow on
all but the fastest machines, but sometimes they accidentally click on
stuff that wouldn't be a problem if there was less data.