[Imports] Value of imports in general

Johan C osmned at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 11:29:59 UTC 2014

Imports are bad when: "In this case, an import cannot happen when there is
no local community to keep it actual."

I could have written the following lines Pieren used two days ago: "When a
country or a municipality is publishing and opening its address database,
it's also not falling from the sky. This data is also the result of
many contributors,
skilled workers, collecting and keeping the data up-to-date (at least,
trying to)."

In The Netherlands we have a law for keeping address and building data up
to date. By that law the entire government (local, provincial and and
country level) are obliged to use and update that single database on a
daily basis. It's also used for addresses when citizens receive financial
support, when the tax authorities deliver mail, when passports are updated
etcetera. Maybe there are more than 1.000 professionals in the Netherlands
working fulltime on keeping this data accurate. I would count that in as
being (a sort of) part of the community. Unfortunately, except for
Nominatim, the current technical structure of OSM does not make it possible
to use that data directly in Mapnik, in the planet downloads etcetera. So
at the moment I'm very glad that already 7 community members (and rising)
in The Netherlands are enthousiastic about importing this data into OSM.