[Imports] Value of imports in general

David Marín Carreño davefx at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 12:03:06 UTC 2014

Hi all.

> Imports are bad when: "In this case, an import cannot happen when there is
> no local community to keep it actual."

I completely disagree.

When there's no local community to keep actual the data in the
database, an import is as bad as any manual edition made by an
ocassional collaborator.
In both cases, we will have OSM reflecting a maybe-outdated state of
the reality.

The problem here wouldn't be if the data come from an import or from a
sporadical collaborator. The problem is that there are many places in
the world in which there's no local community. And, IMHO, it would be
better an outdated map than having no map at all...

And, for a sporadical collaborator it would be always easier
correcting an outdated element in a map (as long as the imported
data-structure is good) than creating it from blank.

--
David Marín Carreño