[Imports] Value of imports in general

Randal Hale rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
Fri Feb 7 12:09:04 UTC 2014

+11 (also +42 for Carol a few days ago)

OSM (as I saw in one comment) is coming up on 10 years old. I guess as a
mapping person - I don't understand why there isn't a policy/process for
imports into OSM. So far I see the process goes something like:

  * I wish to import this data
  * constantly quote  "imports destroy the OSM communities" with no
    clear evidence of this occurring.
  * question  the license with no list anywhere of what licenses are
    acceptable
  * No clear list anywhere about what data OSM would like
  * References to an undefined OSM community.
  * Import begins or doesn't
  * Imprt completes or fizzles

There are a lot of smart people on this list. Serge has done wonders for
cleaning up the process.  While Geographic Data is all different - it's
fundamentally the same. Develop a policy for imports. Develop tools.
Develop some sanity on this process. List what data that would benefit
OSM.....or keep the process exceptionally foggy and ill-defined for some
reason.

Randy

-
OK Import your data----------------