[Imports] Value of imports in general

Christian Quest cquest at openstreetmap.fr
Sun Feb 9 13:51:15 UTC 2014

> If an import results has the same data structure and quality as any manual
>> contribution, what's the problem ?
>>

> I hope this should have been quality as many _good_ manual contributions,
> because we have a lot of not so optimal manual contributions by newbies
> where the quality is tolerable for several reasons 1. beginners obviously
> make errors, but they are usually limited in quantity and extension, and
> probably they will be later corrected by the same mappers as they go on
> learning how to map in osm
> 2. even if not optimal they might add valuable information that someone
> else can later correct (given that this is only punctual information and
> not loads of loads of data)
> 3. accepting everyone's contribution is psychologically important (lowers
> the bar to contribute, makes people more confident for future edits, is
> motivating)
>

> the same quality we do accept from a newby would probably be rejected in
> an import, as it does make a huge difference to tag one object differently
> to how we are used to, and to make the same mistake hundreds or thousands
> of times in an import (distorts taginfo stats, gives a bad example to other
> mappers in the area, etc.)

Yes, of course, I mean _good_ manual contribution, I thought this was
obvious.

>> If it's not, it looks like a bad import to me and I agree that its value
>> may be considered as negative (more work to fix it).
>>

> also if it isn't fixed very quickly it will teach newbies in the area
> "wrong" tagging / mapping, it will draw a bad picture about OSM in the area
> and might lower overall reputation, it will diverge tagging and puts the
> whole project at risk.

Well, this should not even be a problem as a bad import should not happen
first ;)

It looks to me like we're focusing too much on the past bad experience. We
must learn from them, not to do the same mistake twice but not consider
that because is went wrong it will also go wrong.

--
Christian Quest - OpenStreetMap France
Conférence "State Of The Map" France du 4 au 6 avril à