[Imports] [Imports-us] Address Data Import for Fulton County, Georgia

Saikrishna Arcot saiarcot895 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 02:54:41 UTC 2014

Hi Sarah,

On Wednesday, February 26, 2014 08:46:39 AM Sarah Hoffmann wrote:
> From previous discussions with people in the US I understand that
> the administrative boundaries of a city do not necessarily line up
> with the postal cities. I wonder if that might be the reason why you
> see mismatches. In that case, it might be well worth including addr:city
> in the import, so that OSM gets better postal addresses.

It's possible, but I don't think so. I did a conversion of some addresses in Sandy Springs (at least in the area defined as Sandy Springs in OSM), and all of the addr:city values were Atlanta. I'll check, though, to see if the postal city is actually Atlanta.

> There is a similar issue with zip codes. The areas in ZCTA are only
> approximated because they use some aggregations[1] and US zip codes
> are in general difficult to describe as areas. Your data might actually
> be more precise. Do you have any means to point check the data?

The zip code data in this dataset seems to match up well with the ZCTA. There are about 20-30 addresses (a relatively low percentage compared to the number of addresses present) in a midtown Atlanta sample I have (most likely due to the small region having their own zip code). In another sample outside of the city, there were no mismatching zip codes.

--
Saikrishna Arcot