[Imports] [Imports-us] Address Data Import for Fulton County, Georgia

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 16:08:34 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 10:59 AM, Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us>wrote:

> I agree with Martijn. Addresses add real value to OSM. With an address
> node, routing works better, adding POI information is easier, and it aids
> disaster recovery work. I'll admit, building outlines look nice and alone
> they aid mappers adding POIs and also can be used in disaster recovery
> work. So each adds value.
>

> About the disaster recovery work. I had a conversation with a CERT member
> last week. He was frustrated using address interpolation to plan for
> response efforts. He would love to see address nodes added.

Let's not confuse addresses as raw nodes with no addresses.

That's a bit like me saying a healthy meal is better than junk food, and
the response being that junk food is better than no food. It's not what I'm
saying.

The issues with address points are:

1. They're often in the wrong places. You just don't know it until you have
building footprints to compare it to.

2. There's not a whole lot of data about addresses being updated

3. (as was brought up in the NYC building point discussion) There's no code
that I'm aware of that correctly parses address points inside building
polyogons in such a way that non-addressed POIs get the address attributes.

4. If geolocation is the issue (which it seems to be), then we could feed
that data to the geolocator directly, rather than placing it in OSM.

- Serge