[Imports] [Imports-us] Address Data Import for Fulton County, Georgia

Carl Anderson carl.anderson at vadose.org
Thu Jan 9 18:00:54 UTC 2014

> Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 08:01:40 -0600
> From: Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com>
> To: Serge Wroclawski <emacsen at gmail.com>
> Cc: OSM Imports List <imports at openstreetmap.org>
> Subject: Re: [Imports] [Imports-us] Address Data Import for Fulton
>        County, Georgia

>On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 7:05 AM, Serge Wroclawski <emacsen at gmail.com> >wrote:
>>
>> 1. The license issue is still unresolved
>>
>> I looked at the pdf you mentioned. The distribution statement appears
>> to be for the document itself, the "Standards and Definitions for the
>> Driveway / Access Point Address File", rather than the actual data
>> itself, which I can't find. I looked in the shapefile metadata xml
>> file, and I looked at the disclaimer.txt, but neither contained what
>> I'd consider to be any sort of definitive information on distribution.
>> Without explicit distribution permissions, the default stance of
>> copyright in the US is that information from a non-federal agency is
>> subject to copyright and thus not distributable. In other words,
>> unless they give explicit permission, the default position in the US
>> is that all information is held under copyright and thus cannot be
>> distributed.
>

> Although it certainly could be made more explicit, the "data disclaimer" on
> the Georgia Clearinghouse website [0] has two paragraphs. The first is a
> pretty standard indemnification, the second says that "The Clearinghouse
> has no restrictions regarding the redistribution of information-mapping
> products and/or data obtained through the Clearinghouse, other than those
> identified by the pertinent data owner(s)." They also "request source
> credit". That's pretty clearly saying "no restrictions, but please give us
> credit." The address dataset in question doesn't specify any additional
> restrictions.
>
> That's about as clear as some local governments are willing to get.

I have some personal knowledge about the files in question.  In a
previous role I submitted the data to the Georgia GIS Clearinghouse.

The FGDC CSDGM metadata data access statement was intended as the
legal restrictions on use and access.

Look at the accconst and usecont tags on lines #86 and #87 of daccess.shp.xml.
The descriptive PDF is a draft and released as CC-SA 2.0 document.