[Imports] Dutch addresses and buildings import - how to deal with addresses in apartments

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Jan 28 22:58:27 UTC 2014

Johan,

On 28.01.2014 23:31, Johan C wrote:
> Some days ago Paul checked a testimport and stumbled across the JOSM
> validator warning 'Nodes at same position'. An example can be seen
> here: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=52.01284&mlon=4.33806#map=19/52.01284/4.33806
> The Vermeertoren (named after the famous Dutch painter) is a typical
> Dutch high rise building of 23 floors, combining an underground parking
> garage, a health care center, a child care center (kindergarten), social
> and luxury housing. That means a lot of addresses in one building. The
> address data as available in the official database (the BAG) combines
> several different addresses into a single LAT/LON coordinate. The WIKI
> on multiple addresses http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Addresses is
> not very clear on this situation:

I don't know if this is in any way related but I have recently taken a
look at current Den Haag data (Statenkwartier area) in our live database
(tagged source=BAG) and I found that almost every single time when there
was an A/B/C house number, they were at the exact same spot (even in
situations when there was one door for house 104 and the door for 104A
was next to it). I have also seen at least one occasion where something
like 12 different house numbers (102 to 112 with a couple A,B,C thrown
in) were at the same spot.

This is painful for mappers because JOSM will overprint the numbers
leading to an unreadable jumble, and Mapnik (and likely most other
renderers as well) will randomly select the first number that comes from
the database for rendering.

As a "guest mapper" I was also frequently unsure whether I should add my
POI data to the buildings or the address nodes, or create separate nodes
for the POIs. In Germany we frequently add POI and address information
to the buildings but in Den Haag there occasionally were "buildings"
(also source=BAG) covering a whole block of houses, or a house and all
its rear builidings, in one geometry, which of course doesn't lend
itself to this kind of mapping. When adding POI info to an existing
address node I was unsure what to do with the "source=BAG" and
"source:date=xyz" tags; I often ended up removing them because I felt
that my hand-surveyed node superseded the BAG data.

All in all, and speaking from very limited Den Haag experience only, the
map detail is a bit disappointing - it looks super detailed at first but
then if you zoom in, you get building outlines and rarely a business
name or other non-BAG detail at all, and the map really wasn't too
welcoming to add such detail (how do I add a shop=florist tag to one of
6 imported address nodes all on top of each other) etc.

Maybe the discussions of further BAG imports should focus on creating a
good basis for mappers to continue working with, rather than a data set
that may be nice for geocoding but for not much else!

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same import here - you make it
sound like you were in some sort of try-out stage but what I saw looked
already pretty much imported.

Bye
Frederik