[Imports] Import Plan for Buildings & Address in Washington, DC, USA

Jason Remillard remillard.jason at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 00:46:51 UTC 2014

Hi,

> - Paid staff
>   The question was raised on if paid staff would be used for this. The wiki
> says no money is being exchanged for work - does this mean that all work
> will be done by volunteers?
>
> - Remote mappers
>   Will many remote mappers be involved, particularly paid ones?

I believe it is entirely possible to do a good import with paid remote mappers.

We care about making sure that everybody who is touching the import
knows what they are doing. For example, I suggest all of the following
items are requires knowledge before participating in an import.

- What's a relation is?
- Difference between highway=trunk, and highway=service,
- How to tag schools,
- How to replace geometry in JOSM, and when should it be used.
- What are image offsets, and how to apply them in JOSM,
- What are change set comments.
- Have they gone and mapped their local neighborhood by hand

If they are doing an address import, do they understand
- when to tag a building, when to put the address on a node,
- how to tag address interpolation,
- how to handle new addresses and existing POI's,
- what are all of the address tags

community

- What to do with OSM messages
- What is the DWG, and what does it mean when they write you a message.

The problems with the paid NY mappers were training/process issues. We
all can think of examples of somebody new to OSM trying to help with
an import and making lots mistakes. Its an old problem really.

I would like to suggest less focus on who is working for who and more
focus on insuring that everybody involved has the training needed. If
people are involved that are new to OSM, the organizer of the import
needs to think about and perhaps discuss the plan for onboarding
everybody involved.

Jason