[Imports] Mass fixing street names in Queensland Australia

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 12:24:17 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Benjamin Wragg
<bwragg at isasolutions.com.au> wrote:

> I'd like to investigate a process to mass update missing street names in
> Queensland Australia. I recently tried to use Openstreetmap in the northern
> part of Queensland around the city of Cairns and found a terrible lack of
> street names. I'd estimate only about 5%-10% of roads have names! I looked
> into acquiring them from the government and have sourced them in shapefile
> format and got their written permission to use them in Openstreetmap.

You should know that a mass import needs some preparation and a good
knowledge of the OSM project itself. For instance, we have some
conventions for street names like avoiding abbreviations, capital
letters, etc (maybe it's different in Australia).

Probably one of the major issue will be to match your shapefile
objects with the related OSM entities. OSM ways might require some
split at junctions etc. The easier alternative as suggested by Theodin
in the forum is to publish the source and call the crowd to set
manually the missing names. For that, you could use some task manager
tool like the one developed by HOT: http://tasks.hotosm.org/
Btw, you should open a wiki page about the import and publish
somewhere the written permission from the government (or point out the
license)

Pieren