[Imports] [Tagging] [osm_sk] Re: Aktualizace: Tags for Czech/Slovak address system

"Petr Morávek [Xificurk]" petr at pada.cz
Wed Mar 19 15:41:16 UTC 2014

Dne 19.3.2014 15:51, Serge Wroclawski napsal(a):
> On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 6:30 AM, "Petr Morávek [Xificurk]" <petr at pada.cz> wrote:
>
>> Oh, here we go again... You are wrong. It's nothing like addr:country,
>> it's not duplicating any information, and the polygon approach is not
>> applicable.
>>
>> I would really appreciate, if people would read on the local terms used
>> in this import before adding their "wisdom" that completely ignores
>> local conditions (aka "truth on the ground").
>
>> I did my best explaining at least the basics (in English) in my
>> previously referenced email to imports list. If someone is too lazy to
>> read that, then his/her claims and suggestions regarding this specific
>> import will most probably be worthless (as is the above example).
>
> The only explanation I've seen is that "It's too hard to write
> software to use admin boundaries". That is not a good reason in my
> opinion. Are there other reasons?

Either you haven't read the email I was referring to, or you're
deliberately ignoring its content or refusing to understand the local
conditions. Sorry, I can't help you with that.

> You see a lot of people who are generally agreeing that the import as
> proposed is not good. Imports should in line with the community at
> large, and the community has concerns which are being shunted into
> strange discussion about addr:place vs addr:borough, addr:district,
> etc. An administrative boundary would solve this problem, and allow
> the import to be agreed on.

We have administrative boundaries... they don't solve this particular
problem with addr:place, they _cannot_ solve it! This is another example
of you ignoring what was already explained. Furthermore, I would really
like to see that "a lot of people"... I regret to say, that I see a lot
of people that are ignoring our local conditions coming with
claims/suggestions that are often totally "off". We did discuss this
import thoroughly in local community and the tagging scheme is generally
settled. Of course, there are some points that not all of us agree on
unanimously, but that's kind of expectable given the complexity of the
system.

This discussion can be constructive, if and only if the participants
understand at least the basic terms that are used in CR subdivision and
address system. If you (or anyone else) is not clear on something, then
ask a specific question and I (we) will do our best to clarify the
matter. But I refuse to repeat over and over something that was already
explained and people only ignore it and go on with their rant.

Best regards,
Petr Morávek aka Xificurk