[Imports] CLC meadow cleanup

sly (sylvain letuffe) liste2 at letuffe.org
Mon Mar 24 15:24:10 UTC 2014

On samedi 22 mars 2014, Paul Norman wrote:
> After going at it piece-meal I'm wondering if we need to go after it in a
> systematic manner with a mechanical edit.

I think it should be decided based on the local community's feeling about that
import :
- are all CLC classes concerned or is it just landuse=meadow
- does the community prefer to restart blank or to upgrade it gradually

> 1. I did the editing in Poitou-Charentes, France. Is the CLC data here
>   representative of other data?

As far as I know : yes

> 2. Are there other CLC classifications which are just as bad?

The general CLC precision is bad on all CLC classifications compared to what
can be done with bing today

But IMHO natural=rock (often a mix of scree/bare rock/other) landuse=meadow,
landuse=industrial;retail (double tagged + some residential in it) and
natural=glacier (snow was often confused with glacier's ice) counts as the
worst

> I am contemplating proposing a mechanical edit to remove the bad data. What
> are peoples thoughts on this?

Not to.

As I've said on the talk-fr list one year ago
[https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-fr/2012-September/047914.html]
, I now think, on the light of new aerial imageries available, that the CLC
import was a "partial error" that we shouldn't have done, and I would argue
against if it were to be proposed to be done now.

But my opinion is not that of everyone, discussion has shown people believeing
it as pro as well and should be kept and manually replaced/updated bit by bit.

--
sly
qui suis-je : http://sly.letuffe.org