[Imports] Vermont Town boundaries from VCGI

Elliott Plack elliott.plack at gmail.com
Sun May 4 18:59:49 UTC 2014

+1 on Frederik

In my experience, place=hamlet,village,town,city are *better placed as
nodes* at the boundary centroid, rather than with ways representing the
boundary. Mapnik and Mapbox use the nodes rather than the boundary lines to
render. I am pretty familiar with place=* tags. Importing the boundaries
are nice in terms of getting that data out there for all to see, but for
place mapping consider adding nodes at the centroids.

Here's a handy guide to place tags:

hamlet 100-200 people (also consider =neighbourhood (no population limit))
village 200-10,000
town 10,000-100,000
city 100,000+

I've added nodes for the CDPs and CIPs around Baltimore City.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=11/39.3168/-76.6647
http://a.tiles.mapbox.com/v3/villeda.map-atyd5cky.html#11/39.3356/-76.5905

For this project, consider adding nodes and then use the is_in schema. I've
seen people use relations with the node and boundary as well.

Best,

Elliott

On Sun, May 4, 2014 at 5:25 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 04.05.2014 07:08, Andrew Guertin wrote:
> > As far as I can tell that addresses all the comments from previously.
> > Any more?
>
> I have not followed the discussion in detail so I'm sorry if I repeat
> something already said, but be aware that place=* tags tend to be on
> nodes not multipolygons, with the node placed roughly at the population
> center, the central square of a city or whatever.
>
> With place=* on multipolygons, renderers will try their best and place a
> label at the center of the polygon, if they label it at all, which will
> end up with a town label for "Duxbury" in the middle of the woods.
>
> When I see "boundary=administrative, admin_level 8" then I know this is
> just a boundary and doesn't say much about whether people live there at
> all, and how many, and where. But when I see "place=town" then I expect
> a proper town with (usually) a pub and a church.
>
> If I were doing this import, I would probably take the time and separate
> the place=* tags into nodes of their own, manually placing them at
> something that looks like a populated place, and remove place=* from the
> multipolyongs; or if I didn't have the time for that sort of work, I'd
> not add any place=* at all.
>
> But I'm not very familiar with the place=* usage in the US and if this
> is the done thing over there, feel free to ignore me.
>
> Bye
> Frederik
>
> --

Elliott Plack