[Imports] Vermont Town boundaries from VCGI

Elliott Plack elliott.plack at gmail.com
Mon May 5 20:36:06 UTC 2014

Andrew,

I loaded your data into JOSM and its really something! Good work. I think
if you poke around, you'll see that many of the place=* places have already
been imported by the GNIS import. Most of them will be (perhaps
incorrectly) place=hamlet, unless another editor upgraded them.

For instance, the town of Northfield (where I briefly lived) has a node
with the proper attributes: https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/158851899

Now, I just noticed in your data the names include the census place type,
like Northfield *Village, *Barton *Village, *etc. I believe those are place
types and not the actual administrative name. in the census data, they
spell the types with lowercase to indicate this (I believe). Head to
http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/nav/jsf/pages/index.xhtml and type in
"Northfield vi" and you'll see what I mean. Perhaps you want to look into
that.

Kindly,

Elliott

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 1:53 PM, Andrew Guertin <andrew.guertin at uvm.edu>wrote:

> I've removed place=* from all elements.
> http://www.uvm.edu/~aguertin/osm/vermont-towns-counties-villages4.osm
>

> Having seen everyone's objections and thought about it more, I still think
> that within the context of a Vermont-only map, it would make most sense to
> keep things labelled with place, but to better match how they're used
> elsewhere I'll leave them out.
>

> --Andrew

Elliott Plack
http://about.me/elliottp