[Imports] Question about import from user visa-import

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Wed May 7 20:03:47 UTC 2014

On Wednesday 07 May 2014, Hans Olav Skogstad wrote:

> We find that the quality of the import is lacking in many ways.
> Some examples are:
> - duplicates, or even triplets of ways, both from the imports alone
> and from the imports and previous manually added data
> - some of the imported data is old and is not representing real world
> conditions
> - highway=* start and ends in "mid air" without being connected to
> anything.
> - waterway=* are all imported as stream, and existing river might
> have been downgraded to stream.

I have seen this import and made similar observations.  But i saw this
was already being discussed on the Norwegian list and thought you will
probably deal with it.  I have not seen any related discussion here
since last October.

> And another question is how to precede with the problems this import
> has created. Perhaps the best would be to delete everything done by
> this user? I have read this
> (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Handling_bad_imports) page
> regarding bad imports, but i ask here first before i go to the data
> working group.

Have you contacted the user and asked him to revert his own changes?

In general it would probably be a good idea to add a warning to the wiki
page:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/No:Kartverket_import

not to start importing data without further discussion.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/