[Imports] Question about import from user visa-import

Hans Olav Skogstad hans-olav.skogstad at online.no
Wed May 7 20:29:28 UTC 2014

>> We find that the quality of the import is lacking in many ways.
>> Some examples are:
>> - duplicates, or even triplets of ways, both from the imports alone
>> and from the imports and previous manually added data
>> - some of the imported data is old and is not representing real world
>> conditions
>> - highway=* start and ends in "mid air" without being connected to
>> anything.
>> - waterway=* are all imported as stream, and existing river might
>> have been downgraded to stream.
>
> I have seen this import and made similar observations.  But i saw this
> was already being discussed on the Norwegian list and thought you will
> probably deal with it.  I have not seen any related discussion here
> since last October.

It's just in the last couple of weeks that we have seen the extent of the
"problem". The user creation date is april 1. so I guess the discussion
 from october isn't about this user, bur perhaps import from "kartverket"
in general?

>> And another question is how to precede with the problems this import
>> has created. Perhaps the best would be to delete everything done by
>> this user? I have read this
>> (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Handling_bad_imports) page
>> regarding bad imports, but i ask here first before i go to the data
>> working group.
> Have you contacted the user and asked him to revert his own changes?

Yes, we have contacted him trough the openstreetmap message system, but
it's very quiet from the user. The person might be ignoring the messages,
or not reading messages posted trough the import account.

> In general it would probably be a good idea to add a warning to the wiki
> page:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/No:Kartverket_import
>
> not to start importing data without further discussion.

The page already contains information about writing to the national
mailing list if in doubt... I guess i could be more specific....

--
BR
Hans Olav Skogstad