[Imports] Buildings & Address in Washington, DC, USA.

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Sat May 24 13:38:31 UTC 2014

David,

I have a number of concerns about the import proposal.

Firstly, your goal is stated to add ~66,000 buildings and addresses to
the OSM map. This builds on the work of the previous building import
in DC which was never completed. There is nothing in this proposal
about the existing buildings and addresses, about any conflation or
updates.

This concerns me, as it means that part of the city will have new
data, part of the city will have old data, and there is no plan to
correct/update as part of this process.

Secondly, your schedule is far too agressive. Giving the OSM community
two days to review your plan is simply not reasonable. You must
provide people the opportunity to review your proposal, ask questions,
review your data, review your process, get answers, review those
answers. I would say that two of meaningful discussion would be a
miniumum that it would be possible to do this in, not 48 hours.

I haven't even had a chance to get to the data yet.

Thirdly, this proposal doesn't mention who will be doing the import
work. I suspect that based on the supporters that this means that the
import will be done using paid staff. Is that correct? If it's not
correct, what plans/process will you use for working with the local
community to do this work? If it is correct, and you will be using
paid staff, based on the tremendous problems that this caused NYC on a
multitude of fronts, what steps will you be taking to address the
problems of oversight, of integration, etc. that we had in NYC?

This ties directly into your aggressive schedule. How do you know the
work will only take until June 30th?

Fourthly, I'd like to know if there is any contact/money/services
exchanging hands that is in any way connected with this import. This
isn't part of the guidelines, but based on the supporters explicitly
listed, I think this is a question that the community deserves to know
the answer to.

- Serge Wroclawski