[Imports] Buildings & Address in Washington, DC, USA.

Katie Filbert filbertk at gmail.com
Tue May 27 15:36:59 UTC 2014

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 10:54 AM, David Jackson (OCTO) <
davidy.jackson at dc.gov> wrote:

> Serge,
>
> Thanks for your valuable feedback.
>
> The buildings that are being imported have very little overlap with the
> existing buildings in OSM.   The areas targeted for building / address
> import are those ones where either no or very few existing building
> polygons exist in OSM.
>
> The buildings being imported are of the same dataset as the buildings
> loaded in the previous batch import.

Sounds good though it would also be good to update the existing areas.

Who will be doing the actual imports?

What are the considerations for integrating with existing data (e.g.
parking lots, pois)?

How do you plan to work with or involved the local mapping dc community?
 (probably some kind of mapping / edit-a-thon would be a good idea where
the community can help)

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/mappingdc (encourage you to get in
touch, I think they are enthusiastic for having the buildings complete and
want to help)

Cheers,
Katie

> - David
>
> David Jackson   |  GIS Analyst  |  Office of the Chief technology Officer
>  (W) 202.724.5135  |  200 I ST SE,  5TH FL,  Washington, DC
> davidy.jackson at dc.gov |   Blog:  dcaddresscoordinates.blogspot.com
> Telework Day: Fri
>

> On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 9:38 AM, Serge Wroclawski <emacsen at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> David,
>>
>> I have a number of concerns about the import proposal.
>>
>> Firstly, your goal is stated to add ~66,000 buildings and addresses to
>> the OSM map. This builds on the work of the previous building import
>> in DC which was never completed. There is nothing in this proposal
>> about the existing buildings and addresses, about any conflation or
>> updates.
>>
>> This concerns me, as it means that part of the city will have new
>> data, part of the city will have old data, and there is no plan to
>> correct/update as part of this process.
>>
>> Secondly, your schedule is far too agressive. Giving the OSM community
>> two days to review your plan is simply not reasonable. You must
>> provide people the opportunity to review your proposal, ask questions,
>> review your data, review your process, get answers, review those
>> answers. I would say that two of meaningful discussion would be a
>> miniumum that it would be possible to do this in, not 48 hours.
>>
>> I haven't even had a chance to get to the data yet.
>>
>> Thirdly, this proposal doesn't mention who will be doing the import
>> work. I suspect that based on the supporters that this means that the
>> import will be done using paid staff. Is that correct? If it's not
>> correct, what plans/process will you use for working with the local
>> community to do this work? If it is correct, and you will be using
>> paid staff, based on the tremendous problems that this caused NYC on a
>> multitude of fronts, what steps will you be taking to address the
>> problems of oversight, of integration, etc. that we had in NYC?
>>
>> This ties directly into your aggressive schedule. How do you know the
>> work will only take until June 30th?
>>
>> Fourthly, I'd like to know if there is any contact/money/services
>> exchanging hands that is in any way connected with this import. This
>> isn't part of the guidelines, but based on the supporters explicitly
>> listed, I think this is a question that the community deserves to know
>> the answer to.
>>
>> - Serge Wroclawski

Katie Filbert
filbertk at gmail.com