[Imports] [tl; dr] Re: cleanup broken import "fix"

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Thu May 29 09:42:27 UTC 2014

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 3:29 AM, malenki <osm_ at malenki.ch> wrote:
> On Thu, 29 May 2014 02:52:23 +0200
> Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>
>> do you have a complete list of the tags that you propose to "drop"?
>
> key with count of occurrence:

> gnis:feature_id=*       26
> gnis:id=*               6577

The US community has discussed these tags and wants them to stay. Do
not remove them. I'd call any removal of those vandalism.

> water=lake;pond         57045

We don't go around removing thousands of tags because there is a new
tagging scheme. I happen to like the distinction between lakes and
ponds.

In addition, Is see absolutely no value in a bot going around dropping
tags just for the sake of dropping tags.

Any gain in the reduction of the size of the DB will be accompanied by
a larger increase of the size of the history by this bot going around
modifying thousands of objects.

You should be proposing that some of these tags (not all) be removed
by the editors, which is how we typically handle these cases- not by
brute force removal.

I therefore vote against any such automated edit.

- Serge