[Imports] [tl; dr] Re: cleanup broken import "fix"

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu May 29 09:59:36 UTC 2014

> > gnis:feature_id=*       26
> > gnis:id=*               6577
>
> The US community has discussed these tags and wants them to stay. Do
> not remove them. I'd call any removal of those vandalism.

Do you have guidelines or suggestions how to handle these tags when
modifying the objects, e.g. splitting them into several objects? Shall all
new objects contain these IDs then?

> In addition, Is see absolutely no value in a bot going around dropping
> tags just for the sake of dropping tags.
>
> Any gain in the reduction of the size of the DB will be accompanied by
> a larger increase of the size of the history by this bot going around
> modifying thousands of objects.

I understand this point of view and share it partially, but on the other
hand it is very confusing for new mappers (and in general also to the
experienced) to see a lot of tags whose meaning is only clear from looking
at third party documentation. Long tag lists of non-osm-tags (i.e.
references to external datasets) will also raise the chance that the
missing of important osm-tags (like main tags for classification) are
overlooked. And as you point it out, deleting these third party ids would
still keep them in the history so anybody willing to do a conflation of
updated data can rely on this information.

cheers,
Martin