[Imports] [tl; dr] Re: cleanup broken import "fix"

Dan S danstowell+osm at gmail.com
Thu May 29 10:27:42 UTC 2014

> On Thu, 29 May 2014 05:42:27 -0400
> Serge Wroclawski wrote:
>
>> On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 3:29 AM, malenki
>> <osm_ at malenki.ch> wrote:

>> > key with count of occurrence:
>>
>> > gnis:feature_id=*       26
>> > gnis:id=*               6577
>>
>> The US community has discussed these tags and wants them to stay. Do
>> not remove them. I'd call any removal of those vandalism.
>
> Fine. Still I see no sense in them

There is no-one in OSM who understands every tag :)

So let's keep them eh? But let's not jump too quickly to using words
like "vandalism" in this context which is still a lovely polite one.

>> > water=lake;pond         57045
>>
>> We don't go around removing thousands of tags because there is a new
>> tagging scheme.
>
> You miss the point.

Let's be a bit clearer: someone appears to have applied the
double-barrelled tag "water=lake;pond" as a reinterpretation of the
external value "LakePond". This doesn't help distinguish between lakes
and ponds since the objects in question are all labelled as being
both, whereas the external data probably didn't mean that (it may have
meant either-or).

It seems IMHO that Malenki's proposed bulk edit to remove the specific
instances of "water=lake;pond" done in that previous edit is the best
way to deal with this case: it would improve the utility of the
water=* tag (by removing those badly-done data points), while allowing
for the future possibility that future users might legitimately add
"water=lake;pond" to an object.

>> In addition, Is see absolutely no value in a bot going around dropping
>> tags just for the sake of dropping tags.
>
> Did you read (and understand) my first two mails on this topic?
>
>> You should be proposing that some of these tags (not all) be removed
>> by the editors,
>
> If you mean the "original" editors:
> WorstFixer who invented waterway=lake;pond (looking at the numbers¹) is
> no longer active.

No I think he means removed automatically by JOSM etc: whenever a
person uses JOSM to edit a lake it could silently drop unwanted tags,
which has the advantage of not adding extra changesets to the history.
(Although it has the disadvantage of combining intentional edits with
silent edits!)

Dan