[Imports] cleanup broken import "fix"

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Thu May 29 10:33:57 UTC 2014

On Thursday 29 May 2014, malenki wrote:

> > One thing that bothers me about this is that with the new tagging
> > scheme for rivers (natural=water + water=river)
>
> Did I miss something? Where was the "new tagging scheme" proposed?

Has been around for quite some time see:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:waterway%3Driverbank

but as you showed it is not used much.  Still it means that it can no
more be assumed that natural=water indicates standing water.  Therefore
by removing this tag without replacement you remove the information on
that.

The original source of the data is NHD which does make a fairly proper
distinction in this regard AFAIK.  Therefore it would be a significant
loss to simply delete this information.

> > On the other hand the distinction lake - pond is somewhat pointless
> > anyway so i would suggest you simply change it to water=lake.
>
> That doesn't work. Some of the objects look like puddles on Bing,
> others are dry/intermittent.

The lake/pond distinction does not say anything about permanency.  In
fact there is currently no established verifiable criterion to make
this distinction at all.  I do not know any use of the data that
actually interprets water=lake differently from water=pond.

But if you do not want to use water=lake because some of them are very
small that is fine - water=standing or river=no would work as well.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/