[Imports] [tl; dr] Re: cleanup broken import "fix"

malenki osm_ at malenki.ch
Thu May 29 11:06:22 UTC 2014

On Thu, 29 May 2014 11:27:42 +0100
Dan S expressed very well:

> > On Thu, 29 May 2014 05:42:27 -0400
> > Serge Wroclawski wrote:
>
> So let's keep them eh? But let's not jump too quickly to using words
> like "vandalism" in this context which is still a lovely polite one.

Seems there are a lot of people jumping to it; just recently I saw a
case where a very young well meaning mapper (20 edits) was named this
way.

> >> We don't go around removing thousands of tags because there is a
> >> new tagging scheme.
> >
> > You miss the point.
>
> Let's be a bit clearer:
> [verbose ecplanation]

You got the point. I am sorry I assumed it would be so clear that there
wasn't need to write a novel about it. :)

> > If you mean the "original" editors:
> > WorstFixer who invented waterway=lake;pond (looking at the
> > numbers¹) is no longer active.
>
> No I think he means removed automatically by JOSM etc: whenever a
> person uses JOSM to edit a lake it could silently drop unwanted tags,

That's possible, but it does not solve the problem of the useless tag
(who would go around and enhance 57k imported objects "by hand) but adds
another: the occurrence of this tag could also mean that someone merged
objects carelessly. Dropping this tag silently would make it less
likely to discover this error.

Regards
Thomas