[Imports] Forest Cover Data

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 09:17:58 UTC 2014

> - the data shows percentage of tree cover which is something OSM does
> not map.  OSM does only distinguish between forest/wood and no
> forest/wood, furthermore not all tree covered areas are tagged as such
> like landuse=orchard.  leisure=park/leisure=garden can be largely tree
> covered as well.

you can always add landcover=trees for any area that is covered with trees.
Those percentages indeed might indicate unsuitable data (generalized shapes
for medium or low scales).

On the other hand I believe we do miss some tagging specifics to
distinguish between dense cover and sparse cover, have a look at this area
here:
http://binged.it/1t4u7He
You can clearly see how nice it would be to distinguish between those two
types instead of having to decide on one of the two extremes (completely
covered vs. completely uncovered).

cheers,
Martin