[Imports] New Orleans: importing buildings and addresses

Matt Toups mtoups at cs.uno.edu
Wed Oct 22 03:52:09 UTC 2014

Greetings. I've been preparing an import for my hometown of New Orleans,
Louisiana, USA.

Here are links of interest:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/New_Orleans,_Louisiana/Building_Outlines_Import
https://github.com/mtoupsUNO/nola-buildings

A few quick notes:

* The data is from our city government and is licensed as CC0.
* I hope the wiki (linked above) will address questions about the
tagging scheme, conflation method, and process.
* The import is a team effort comprised of both experienced mappers and
relatively new, local users.

I have been editing OSM for this area for over 6 years and I am
committed to making this import a local community-led effort. I've been
reaching out to local mappers for help, and already this process has led
to more engagement and cooperation. I believe the import work is
actually helping to strengthen our map community.

Your feedback is welcome. In particular, I'm looking for good
documentation to give to our less-experienced mappers on how to participate.

Thanks!

Matt Toups
New Orleans