[Imports] [Imports-us] New Orleans: importing buildings and addresses

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Wed Oct 22 23:29:12 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 4:01 PM, Johan C <osmned at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. In OSM it's common either to attach addresses/poi's to single building
> outlines (if the complete building with all floors has one address/poi) or
> to have them as separate nodes. Depending on local communities imports can
> either choose to attach nodes to building outlines or to import them as
> single nodes. Two factors can be important in that decision: 1) when the
> nola address data contains information on the entrance of a building,
> because it's located on or near the entrance, it would be a waste to throw
> away that useful info by merging that address data to the building outline
> without setting an entrance tag 2) you write that the nola updates of
> building outlines have a different frequency than the updates of addresses.
> Will merging address data to buildings make the update process in OSM more
> difficult?

I second Johan's recommendation. In Seattle we choose to add an address to
the building outline if only one address existed and add addresses as nodes
when there are multiple addresses inside the outline. Personally I believe
that at some point we will have sidewalks/driveways that allow routing from
door to door. Just having an address node on the entry way may not be
sufficient. For example, when the door is next to a fence or other barrier.

> 2. For the updates of building outlines I can imagine that you are using
> ID's. OSM has no tool around yet that is able to compare OSM building
> outlines semi-automatically to an updated government database. A second
> problem is that due to various reasons (like the specialized OSM QA tools
> a government doesn't use) the building shapes in OSM have a good chance to
> vary a tiny bit from a government dataset. The - hopefully somewhere in
> the future to be built - tool will have to deal with these minor geometry
> differences in order to keep updates, after an energizing initial import,
> fun for mappers. Although it's true that ID's can be changed, it's the only
> thing available yet to assist in semi-automatic updates of building
> outlines.

We just got new building outlines for our city. The ids on the original
dataset do not match the updated dataset. Additionally the original dataset
combined porches with the house, now they are separate outlines.  See what
the government agency has to say about their updating plans. If they plan
on using the same id, I'd say import it. If not, don't bother.

> 3. Address data in my opinion does not require ID's, because addresses
> should be unique in themself by the combination of addr:housenumer and
> addr:postcode

Originally I was of the same opinion. However, our counties address GIS
person explained to me that the id is useful when they move an address from
one spot to another. He felt very strongly that we keep the id. Our county
does keep updating the dataset using the same ids.

> 7. I can recommend Geofabrik inspector as a QA tool to align names of
> streets to streetnames in addresnodes:
> http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/?view=addresses&lon=10.75140&lat=59.91387&zoom=14&overlays=street_not_found

+1 - I actually gave back the county their errors found using Geofabrik's
QA tools.

And hi Johan!

--
@osm_seattle