[Imports] [Imports-us] New Orleans: importing buildings and addresses

Elliott Plack elliott.plack at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 14:16:00 UTC 2014

Matt: good work on getting this started. It is definitely unfortunate that
the address points are not spatially paired with the buildings. In my
Baltimore County import[1], address points are placed at the building
centroid unless there are multiple, (then they are placed at the unit
centroid). If the spatial component of the address node is unspecific, e.g.
it is at the parcel center, than I recommended conflating them if they do
fall within the building footprint, as I did [2].

Since ZIP Codes aren't part of the source data, I would not spend a ton of
time trying to source them. It might actually distort the authoritativeness
of the original data in that you would be combining a verified source and a
derived source. I think you should proceed without them and utilize JOSM
and the select within tool to add them as a separate import project,
thereby keeping the lineage separate.

Kindly,

Elliott

[1] = http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/39.37694/-76.60895