[Imports] Merced buildings and addresses import

Nathan Mixter nmixter at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 06:13:30 UTC 2014

Merced County Association of Governments has building footprints, addresses
and other digital files that can be imported into OSM. GIS Analyst Natalia
Austin was very helpful in quickly answering questions and confirmed that
the files are public domain and can be freely used. The county has both
addresses and building footprint files available. They may update the data
in the future, but the county only does it as it has time and doesn't have
a specific time schedule, so this will probably be a one-time import,
although it may be worth checking back in the next couple years to see if
they have made any major updates in either of the files. The import will
include information merged and conflated into one file.

I have downloaded with Turbo API the few buildings already in the county
and have verified that none overlap with existing buildings. I left the
existing buildings in place as much as possible and merged any existing
address nodes or pois manually with the new buildings. Unfortunately not
every building in the county was digitalized, but most address points were.
Where there was a direct one-to-one relation, I merged the address point
with the building outline. When more than one point occupy a building, the
nodes were kept separate from the building outline. I added 100s of
buildings manually from imagery so blocks would have the missing outlines
rather than just the address node.

The original shapefiles included the name and type of business. The extra
category allowed them to be matched to their corresponding OSM tags. Both
name and OSM category have been included when possible, and the original
tags were deleted. The shapefile created unnecessary relations with several
of the buildings near each other. These have been manually removed as much
as possible, leaving just the tags. I have gone through and tried to make
sure the addresses that are not conflated with the buildings are as close
to the building as possible and there are no overlapping address points or
extra floating address points that don't correspond to anything. I expanded
the street abbreviations and converted to proper case items that were in
all caps.

The JOSM file is available for review at
https://www.dropbox.com/s/byclptdmlevy1p8/Merced%20buildings%20and%20addresses.osm?dl=0.
See more on the import wiki page at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Catalogue/Merced_County_Buildings
.

Please let me know with any thoughts, questions or concerns.
Thanks,
Nathan