[Imports] Import of 14, 020 United Nations Mission in Liberia place nodes

Rafael Avila Coya ravilacoya at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 16:43:04 UTC 2014

Hi, Frederik:

Thanks for your comments.

I agree on what you say. I would add that I strongly believe in
community building and mapping through surveying, and see imports just
as a complementary way of adding data to OSM when (and only when) it's
worth it and the other means fail.

I already have done/organized several imports in North Nigeria, with
eHealth Africa data (
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Nigeria#eHealth_Africa_Foundation_database_imports
), some of them very similar to this one of Liberia, and participated
in others, like the UNICEF data import for CAR, both mapping and
discussing in the imports list.

I am not in charge of the activation of the West Africa Ebola
response. It's Andrew Buck and Pierre Béland who are carrying this
quite tiresome job since March this year (a big thank you for them!).
Andrew announced yesterday in the HOT mailing list the release of this
data, and asked for help on importing it to OSM, and I volunteered to
do that. My comment "they need this data quite urgently" didn't mean
we have to sort any issues with any deadline whatsoever. Some of my
previous imports didn't need even a week of discussion, as no issues
or almost no issues were raised. Some others need more time, and that
is always very good sign, as it is always my goal to make the best
import possible.

On the other hand, giving these data to humanitarian organizations
without having to publish it in OSM, and therefore making the data
available in a faster although not so reliable way, is out of my
scope, as I am not in direct contact with those orgs. But if I could
help on that, I would surely contribute to that to.

It should be Pierre or Andrew who would give you more data about this
HOT activation but, following by memory, the response of the OSM
community has been awesome so far, with more than 1,200 contributors
plus something like 40 million objects mapped in the area (correct me
if I am wrong).

Some tasks, like the GNS places addition, were undertaken by
experienced mappers in private jobs in the HOT Tasking Manager. I
can't assure you about that, but I don't think it would be difficult
to find experienced volunteers willing to contribute to this import.
In the worst case, we can always abort it before it starts.

I find your calculations a bit conservative. I've just done a test (no
upload of the results) with 30 random nodes, and it took me just 15
minutes to complete (some had to be conflated, some others needed a
fixme tag, some others needed downgrade to isolated_dwelling, upgrade
to village, moved the location, or needed no modifications).I think
the ratio of 1 node per minute is to long (bear in mind that roughly
50% of the nodes will be ok as they are, with no conflating, need of
moving the node nor changing the place tag value). But, in any case,
even if we take those calculations as the correct ones, having 5
experienced volunteers working an average of 6 hours a day, it would
take a week or so. Quite good. I think it's quite feasible.

In any case, whatever the time it takes to complete, every node that
is imported will be already useful, and not only for this Ebola
crisis. And I am surely committed, once the import is started, to make
sure that it will be finished.

Cheers,

Rafael.