[Imports] Import of 14, 020 United Nations Mission in Liberia place nodes

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 20:38:20 UTC 2014

> Hi,
>
> On 09/15/2014 06:25 PM, Rafael Avila Coya wrote:
>> The aim of giving place=hamlet instead of place=unknown as default
>> is clear: make easier and faster the import.
>
> An import does not, and should not, have to be fast. As I said before
> - - if you need the data fast, don't (ab)use OSM as a transport medium,
> transport it without OSM instead and you can have a random hacker
> convert it in a day. If, for example, your target was Garmin maps, you
> could simply mix-in the data with OSM at the mkgmap stage.

I don't think this particular point is about the speed of getting the
data imported into OSM. 14,000 nodes have to be processed one at a time
by hand, it is more about just making that as non-tedious a process as
possible, not a rush to get data in. The time will be spent making sure
the nodes are accurately placed, not changing tags that are are 85% of
the time the same.