[Imports] Slovenia landcover import RABA-KGZ review

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Tue Apr 7 00:05:08 UTC 2015

On 4/6/2015 4:03 PM, Stefan Baebler wrote:
> imports@
>
> Hi, fellow mappers!
>
> Our import project
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Slovenia_Landcover_Import_-_RABA-KGZ
> is nearly ready for a start of the actual import by the community.
I had a quick skim and had a few questions

- Is the ministry okay that the source and source:date tags could be
deleted in the future?
- Why indicate the source on the objects when you are indicating it on
the changeset?
- I suggest adding source:date to the changeset

- What are your plans for the raba:id tag you are proposing? Experience
has shown that these types of tags fall out of sync as features are
edited and don't tell you anything that couldn't be derived from other
information
- raba:id makes it sound like it's an ID for the polygon, not an ID for
the type of landuse it is

- Most government farm data sources do not have a category that
corresponds directly to landuse=meadow. This is born out by large
not-meadows having been imported as landuse=meadow and having to be
fixed in past imports. Are you *positive* that it is the appropriate
tag? What is the translation of the description for id 1300?

- Is any simplification being applied?

> Some blank (or landuse-tag-free at least) areas were used for test
> import of limited scale a few days ago:
> Karst: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/45.4787/13.7335
> Alps: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/46.4279/13.6791
> Farmland: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/46.1345/15.5874
I see multiple disjoint polygons being represented as a single polygon,
e.g. https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/4761048

These should all be simply tagged closed ways with no relations to avoid
maintenance problems, unnecessary multipolygons, and other problems. The
explodecollections option of ogr2ogr may be useful here. This will also
need cleaning up in the area you've already imported.