[Imports] Using shp2osm

Elliott Plack elliott.plack at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 22:43:54 UTC 2015

Greetings,

I too am a GIS professional and have worked on several imports of some
government data lately. Since you're a GIS guy, I suggest looking at the
wiki [1] for my Baltimore County import under spatial workflow. I used a
ModelBuilder model in ArcGIS to chunk, simplify and project certain
features.

Instead of shp2osm, I used *ogr2osm* [2], which definitely works and is
pretty easy to set up (I'm no crack coder). List member Paul Norman made
that tool. ogr2osm can (with practically zero configuration) convert
shapefiles to .osm format. You can even write a custom translation [3] to
translate the GIS attributes to OSM friendly tags if you want.

Then for automated import, I suggest the OSM Upload Mechanical Toolkit as
used in another import I'm in the middle of [4]. It works great with the
latest API.

[1]
https://github.com/baltimorecounty/openstreetmap/wiki/Buildings-and-Addresses-Import
[2] https://github.com/pnorman/ogr2osm