[Imports] Using shp2osm

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Wed Apr 8 23:11:53 UTC 2015

On 4/8/2015 3:47 PM, Clifford Snow wrote:
> As others have replied, ogr2osm is a good tool for converting
> shapefiles to osm. I would recommend Paul Norman's version,
> https://github.com/pnorman/ogr2osm. I believe the shapefile should be
> in WGS84 projection which it sounds like you will have no problem doing.
ogr2osm will work with any projection your ogr install knows about (i.e.
basically anything). It will also work with almost any file format that
ogr can read, including reading directly from PostgreSQL.

It will also support multiple layers. With shapefiles, a directory of
shapefiles is a dataset and a single shapefile within the directory is a
layer. Other file formats may support layers natively.

ogr2osm does a small part of an import. Getting local support, figuring
out how to map shapefile attributes to OSM tags, conflating with
existing data and other issues are all up to you.