[Imports] Importing Indianapolis data

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Apr 9 20:48:17 UTC 2015

Mark,

On 04/09/2015 05:39 PM, EthnicFood IsGreat wrote:
> Paul, can you expand on getting local support?  It seems to me that
> adding buildings in a major city that has almost none is a no-brainer.

We will definitely expect that you verify what you are importing against
what is already there. This means that you - or some other human being -
has to look at *everything* you are importing with their own eyes (not
just look at 100 buildings out of 100,000 and conclude that things look
good).

Even if there are no buildings in the city already, there might be POIs
or address points to be conflated with the buildings, or there might be
other objects in the way (e.g. a coarsely drawn road and your imported
building sits squarely on the road). In these cases we'd expect the
importer to either not import a building that sits in the road or,
preferably, fix the road while they're at it.

Building footprints are nice to look at but if we were only after
building footprints in our map, we could simply load your shape file
onto our tile server and render them from there. It is the human beings
caring for the data what makes the difference between OSM and a drop-off
point for government shapefiles.

In an ideal world, there'd be a group of active mappers in Indianapolis
whom you could contact and who would say "hey great, let's divide up
your data among ourselves and everyone uploads a part of the city that
they're already familiar with, doing the necessary verification and
conflation".

In an ideal world, your import would not replace the community ("there's
nobody mapping here anyway so it's a no-brainer"), but instead be a
catalyst for the community ("hey, let's get these buildings on the map
and while we're at it, let's also add some details from a survey").

Turns out there's quite a few people in the Minneapolis area who have
some mapping under their belt:

http://resultmaps.neis-one.org/oooc?zoom=10&lat=45.01349&lon=-93.22598&layers=B00TFFFFFT

Why not try and contact some of them and see if this could be made into
a concerted effort?

Bye
Frederik