[Imports] Administrative Boundaries and Divisions in Portugal

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Mon Apr 13 22:38:00 UTC 2015

Christoph Hormann <chris_hormann at gmx.de> writes:

> Since the myth that all or nearly all political boundaries are defined
> through coordinates is frequently brought up in OSM context a few
> things to keep in mind:
>
> There are three common types of boundary definitions:
>
> * definition through point coordinates and geodetic lines between
> * definition through physical geographical features like rivers or
> ridges
> * definition through a mathematical formular based on either coordinates
> or physical features - this is primarily for maritime boundaries.

and a fourth (perhaps not true for international boundaries): town
boundaries in Massachusetts are primarily defined by granite markers.

But regardless, I think OSM is a great place to curate boundary
information, where "verfied" includes not only visiting markers
(unsurprisingly, all the ones i've visited have been where the state
dataset says they are), but also looking up the law and the things the
law references.