[Imports] Proposed import removal: nuclear explosion sites

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Apr 14 10:22:20 UTC 2015

Hi,

   about 4 years ago, about 2400 nuclear explosion sites were imported
into OSM from http://www.ga.gov.au/oracle/nuclear-explosion.jsp.

Those are *not* installations that regularly conduct nuclear explosions
(in case you wondered, think again), but instead event data about one
specific nuclear explosion that happened at a location in the past.

Examples:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/879707991

http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/879714919

As you can see, these nodes contain a ton of metadata about the
particular explosion, e.g. the exact time, height, type of warhead,
military code names, yield of the explosion, and so on.

Nothing of this is verifiable on-site, or likely to be amended by other
mappers, and while this information is very interesting, it is readily
available from other sources.

Most of all, it is (in my opinion) not geodata but "event data" -
important and potentially geo-changing events perhaps, but still, event
data.

I don't think this information should be in OSM, and I propose to remove
all 2405 objects with military=nuclear_explosion_site from OSM.

There's also about 400 site=nuclear_explosion_site relations that
occasionally have a member describing the crater causes by the
explosion. I do not propose doing anything with them at this time.

I will make the importer aware of this discussion in case he is
interested in participating.

Bye
Frederik