[Imports] Administrative Boundaries and Divisions in Portugal

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Tue Apr 14 10:40:22 UTC 2015

On Tuesday 14 April 2015, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> > If the markers are relatively new it is safe to assume that for
> > practical purposes they are the authoritive definition.  If however
> > the markers get very old (here in Germany on a municipal level they
> > are frequently over a hundred years old) this gets questionable.
>
> Are you sure about this? I thought that these markers were the
> authoritive definition (I believe at least in some cases they are),
> and that the coordinates would have to be adjusted to compensate for
> phenomenons like plate tectonics.
>
> If it weren't like this, wouldn't you have to move your house after a
> while to remain inside the plot ;-) ?

Or you could secretly move the marker to enlarge your property...

At least for individual plots the authoritive definition usually is the
cadastral survey as documented in official records.  In cases of doubt
the position gets verified relative to other surrounding markers and
reference points.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/