[Imports] Proposed import removal: nuclear explosion sites

Nathan Mills nathan at nwacg.net
Wed Apr 15 22:38:03 UTC 2015

An argument could be made for deleting anything that isn't a road, given that the project is called Open_Street_Map. Rather than concern myself with what belongs and what doesn't, I operate on the principle that if it is geographic data, isn't spam, and someone thought it interesting enough to map, it belongs. The data in question is as valid a POI as anything else a person might want to navigate to.

Far more DB space is taken up by building outlines and similar things that aren't by any means necessary for a street map than by these explosion sites. To my mind there is a stronger argument for better tagging of this data than there is for removing it completely, at least with regard to the objects that reflect physical traces left by the tests.

I have a very difficult time understanding the deletionist mindset. It's not as if the objects that are not of interest to you are evicting objects that do interest you. If you run a DB server, there is nothing stopping you from choosing not to ingest objects you consider irrelevant.