[Imports] how do i get a mapper to engage with the community over mass imports?

Glen Barnes barnaclebarnes at mac.com
Fri Apr 24 15:00:02 UTC 2015

Hi Robin,

I’m not sure where all this came from. We (including you) were instrumental in setting up the LINZ2OSM process years ago in NZ. We discussed and came up with tagging schemes and received agreement on the process on the nzopengis group which is where all of the discussions take place. This import/merge is business as usual as far as I am concerned.

So I disagree that there has been no agreement with the community although I do respect your concerns. You have been a key OSM contributor in NZ and the last thing anybody wants is for you feel like *we are doing things behind your back.

Our policy and method for imports in NZ is a merge, not replace policy and we do work on a system of checking out areas of the country and manually merging these using JOSM (there is _no_ automated imports and never has been). The building data may have raised some concern has there are a large number of them but as was stated on the list only areas with 0 existing buildings are been done at the moment. As soon as we hit the built up parts of the city the process becomes far more manual.

In terms of Koordinates I think you are unfairly characterising them as somehow suspicious. I know the team and the founders at koordinates very well and I think you will find that they are just as passionate about open data and open source as you. Is it a company policy to import data? I don’t know but I would be surprised if there was any evil intent. Maybe popping down to GridAKL to catch up with them would be a good idea? Maybe next week and I can come on down as well?

So what to do? Exactly what you have done which is post to the nzopengis group which I’ve replied to and come along and meet up and we can has out any issues. You posted to the group yesterday AFAIK so you have to give some time for others to respond.

Cheers
Glen

* I wasn’t active in adding the buildings dataset but have contributed to discussions on it.