[Imports] Import of municipal trees of Nice, France

Vincent Frison vincent.frison at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 22:00:26 UTC 2015

> On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 10:17 AM, Vincent Frison <vincent.frison at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I just want to inform you that I'm going to import all municipal trees of
>> Nice (thanks to the municipality of Nice which provides opendata).
>>
>> More details are available here:
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Nice,_France/Trees_Import
>>
>> Regards, Vincent.
>>

> I see from reading the import wiki page you are checking if the tree's
> node is inside of a building - that's good. What about accuracy of the
> nodes? How accurate is the node placement vs. actual tree location?

The accuracy is very good, as it's pretty good too with the existing trees,
so the position strafe is very small (most always less than 3 meters, less
than one meter for a good half). The difference is not really about the
quality (until the source includes genus/species or other information) but
about the quantity : 1000 trees before the imports and 30k after ! ;)

>  . What I'm asking is what quality checks have you done on the data?

Only with Bing & co imagery for now but I plan to add manual updates to add
additional tags (genus/species and height) on some famous spots with the
help of other local contributors.

As Frederik has pointed out, internal reference numbers have typically not
> been well received. If there is a viable plan to use the reference number
> then adding them may make sense. You may want to include in your plans on
> the wiki.

I could use that value to check for example that future imports will
perform updates on existing trees whose reference is always the same than
the one of the imported tree.. because useually trees don't move, that
looks like a viable plan, no ? ;) More seriously I have always notified
them about some small issues and it's much more convenient to have an ID
than coordinates if you want to refer to a particular tree of their
dataset. But ok, it's not really vital and I can remove it if it bothers at
that point..