[Imports] Tanzania roads manual import

Rafael Avila Coya ravilacoya at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 18:37:25 UTC 2015

Hi, Martin:

Thanks for your comment.

It obviously doesn't have to be an error, but it's easy to see
inconsistencies if you check some of these routes. For example, you
can check route T17 [1], and see that it changes from trunk to
secondary and then to primary and back to trunk with no apparent
reason. If the reason is that it changes value when it goes from paved
to unpaved, that is clearly wrong tagging.

In any case, there isn't a single km of motorway in Tanzania. Only 7%
of the total roads are paved, and this affects the trunk roads as well
as the lesser regional roads.

As I said before, road classification is out of the scope of this
import. For new MSD&JSI roads, the Highway Tag Africa wiki [2] will be
used as reference for highway=* tagging, and for those roads already
in OSM we will preserve the highway=* and ref=* tags unless cases
where there is a strong reason to do otherwise.

Cheers,

Rafael.

[1] http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5148909
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway_Tag_Africa

> sent from a phone
>
>> Am 14.08.2015 um 02:36 schrieb Rafael Avila Coya
>> <ravilacoya at gmail.com>:
>>
>> Moreover, all of them are mapped as a mix of trunk and primary,
>> many of them primary for some segments and trunk for others. So
>> this is something that has to be corrected too.
>

> this is not necessarily an error: in Germany and Italy we do it
> exactly like this. trunk for roads that are similar to motorways
> (but aren't legally motorways), i.e. on/off ramps, without level
> grade intersections, and primary for those roads that don't meet
> these criteria
>

> cheers Martin

- --
Twitter: @ravilacoya <http://twitter.com/ravilacoya>