[Imports] Tanzania roads manual import

Rafael Avila Coya ravilacoya at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 23:29:23 UTC 2015

On 19/08/15 02:23, Paul Norman wrote:
> On 8/18/2015 4:13 AM, Rafael Avila Coya wrote:
>> There is no point to talk about a future change of license.
> A third-party data source under the ODbL is suitable for import, but it
> is a reasonable issue to bring up with the import proposal.
>> If a change of license would take place, every contributor would have
>> to agree to
>> that change. Those not happy would have their data deleted, as it
>> happened with the license change from the CC-by-sa to the ODbL.
>
> This is incorrect. The contributor terms define the license change
> process, which lets active contributors decide,[1] but an individual
> contributor cannot dictate that their data is deleted.
>
>>   And MSD wouldn't be an exception.
> With an import, MSD is not a contributor as they have not agreed to the
> contributor terms,* you (or the person doing the import) are the
> contributor.
>
> In any case, these details are somewhat disconnected from the issue at
> hand, the suitability of the license.

Yes. Disconnected. So no more comments about this.

> If it were USAID|DELVIER PROJECT as the contributor, I think the license
> would be okay, but it's not, it's individuals working through the HOT
> tasking manager instance.

Individuals working through the Tasking Manager agree with the license
terms of different imagery providers for many TM jobs since years ago,
so I don't see the difference. JSI/USAID want to import this (very
valuable) data into OSM and have decided that the best way to do it is
through the HOT TM. This has been done many times in the past, with no
problem. In other words: for JSI those volunteers will be helping JSI
import the data, and helping OSM community to have a ***much better
map of Tanzania***. And they will have to accept the license for this
import, i.e., that they can't use the data for other purpose than
importing/integrating it into OSM, and before September 2016.

Twitter: @ravilacoya <http://twitter.com/ravilacoya>
*Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT)* <http://www.hotosm.org>