[Imports] Tanzania roads manual import

Rafael Avila Coya ravilacoya at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 23:37:01 UTC 2015

On 19/08/15 02:32, Paul Norman wrote:
> On 8/17/2015 3:16 PM, Rafael Avila Coya wrote:
>> As the license gives permission only for the import to OSM (before Sept.
>> 2016), we can't put it freely available (in a Dropbox link for example),
>> as anyone accessing it must accept the license before downloading.
>
> You are proposing to make it available with your proposed workflow,
> where someone can download it.

The first time a user wants to work in a task of the TM project of
his/her choice, s/he will have to agree with the terms of the license,
as we do since years ago with license terms of different data/imagery
providers.

But no problem, as Andrew Inglis from JSI will upload the data to a
server and make it available for anyone interested in reviewing the
data. As I said in a previous email, there will be an attached text file
telling that the data file can be used only for the purpose of review
for the import.

>>> - if you advise the mappers to always run line simplifications on the
>>> ways first it would be better to do this on the whole data set in
>>> advance, this would avoid unnecessary work for the mappers.
>> Running the Simplify Way plugin for each task takes just seconds, when
>> each task can take an average of one hour. It's true that running the
>> Simplify way for the whole data would avoid this step for mappers, and I
>> obviously thought about it, but it seemed to freeze my JOSM when
>> applying the plugin to too many segments at the same time. I will check
>> if I can find a command line script that applies the algorithm and that
>> it works fine for all segments altogether.
>
> Experience has shown that users will inconsistently simplify the data.
> The best time to simplify is generally *before* converting to OSM
> format, if using a format that supports topology.
>
> If you must simplify a large number of ways in JOSM, first try giving it
> more memory and launching with a console, and giving it tens of minutes
> to complete. If that's still too much, only simplify a portion at a
> time. Don't forget to adjust the simplify-way.max-error advanced
> preference to be suitable for the data quality.

Avoiding users to have to simplify ways for every task is in our TODO
list of this import workflow.

Twitter: @ravilacoya <http://twitter.com/ravilacoya>
*Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT)* <http://www.hotosm.org>