[Imports] OSM Import Question

Brian May bmay at mapwise.com
Thu Aug 27 21:38:25 UTC 2015

On 8/27/2015 11:56 AM, Jim Stob wrote:
> Hello OSM Community,
>

> My name is Jim Stob and I am with Position Technologies, Inc. Position Tech works with large North America brands in managing their brick and mortar locations within the local ecosystem. We work closely with engines like Google and Bing as well as licensing our data to Apple, Nokia/Here, TomTom to name a few.
>
> We have full rights to provide our data under a Trademark and Data Agreement we have in place with the brands we manage.
>
> My question to the community is would you be interested in importing our POI data if it met or exceeded your quality expectations?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim
>
> James A Stob
> CEO
> Position Technologies, Inc.
> 2000 S Batavia St - Suite 350
> Geneva, IL 60134
> Direct 630-262-5310
Many people would be interested in this.

The first issue to overcome is data licensing compatibility with OSM.
Can you further explain your data license? Not sure what "full rights to
provide our data under a Trademark and Data Agreement" means in terms of
a data license. Is it public domain, CC-By-SA, a custom license, etc?

Licensing applies not only to your data license, but sources you use to
compile your data. For example, if you use google maps, here, tom-tom,
etc to locate your points, then that is a show-stopper. Looking at a
page on your website [1] where a video shows updating locations, the
video shows google maps in the background. Have all data points been
located with google maps? If not, can you filter out google tainted
locations?

Also, please read this: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines

[1]

--